Friday 30 August 2013

Nia's cushions




Nia is a friend of mine who has been nanny to another friend (Tanya) of mine's children for the past few years. We have spent a lot of time together and she truly is a special person. As Tanya's kids are now getting older and are starting school the time has come for Nia to move on and share her love with a new family (sniff!)

Tanya asked me to make something for Nia that she could look back on when she is old and grey and remember Michael and Megan, and that also shows how much they appreciate all she's done for them.

So, I thought...cushions! 

Cushions with handprints! And a message on the back! 

Tanya did some handprints with the kids and I sourced fabric that you can print onto and the image doesn't wash out! Exciting? YES!!!!!
I scanned the handprints and printed them onto the fabric using my inkjet printer...so simple! I was super pleased with the results! The detail is amazing!

 

I decided to go for a simple grey/white theme as the handprints and their border were quite bright. I bought some scrap packs from Karen at Blueberry Park a while ago and they were perfect! For those of you who don't know about Karen, do yourself a favour and go and have a look at her website. She screen prints her own fabrics and also quilts and sews gorgeous products! 
pink handprint from Megan

blue handprint from Michael


I was so pleased with the front of these cushions! They turned out just as I had pictured them in my head! Yay!


Then it was onto the backs. Tanya and Nia are both Welsh. They can both speak it too which always amuses me as it's such a sing-songy language! Tanya wanted a simple message to personalise each cushion with the welsh link there too. So we decided on a simple...

Thanks! Love, Michael xxx

Thanks! Love, Megan xxx


I embroidered these messages with my own 2 hands! Oh yes I did! Thanks to this great tutorial from Sarah at Fairyface Designs.
I have a long way to go before my embroidery is quite as good as hers, but I was pretty impressed!

I am really pleased with these 2 cushions and hope that Nia will enjoy them for many years to come!



Thanks for stopping by!

Lisa x


No comments:

Post a Comment